Braised Beef Short Ribs:
If anyone were to ask me what is my favorite dish to make, I would say braised beef short ribs are right up there at the top of the list. Short ribs braised to perfection placed over a bed of mashed potatoes is amazing to me.
- Short ribs 4-5 pounds
- -8-9 cloves of garlic, smashed.
- Salt / Pepper to taste.
- 4 cups beef stock.
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- *The night before cooking* Put the short ribs on a rack over a cookie sheet and sprinkle salt over them. Place in the refrigerator overnight.
- *An hour before cooking, pull out of the refrigerator and sit out to take the chill of the meat*
- In a large roasting pan add olive oil.
- Rough chop the celery, carrots, and onions. Then add to the pan and cook for 5-7 min. Just get some color on them and get them sweated down.
- Add garlic to the pan and brown them up with the other veggies.
- Add the short ribs to the pan and sear all sides.
- Poor over the beef stock, you want to cover the meat as much as possible.
- Cover with tin foil and put in the oven heated to 350f degrees for 3 hours or until fork tender.
- *Optional* at the 3-hour mark, uncover and cook for another 30 min just to get a little roasted flavor to the ribs.
- *Optional part 2* Pull the ribs out of braising liquid, strain out the solids. Put in a small sauce pan and reduce to half and use as a gravy to the ribs.